A Summary of Covenant TheologyBy Jason Sanchez
1. The Inter-Trinitarian Covenant of Redemption was the eternal decree of God outside of time and space to redeem a people to himself.
2. The Creation Mandate, instituting of the Covenant of Works upon Adam as the Federal head of all mankind (Romans 5)
3. Adam sinned therefore breaking the Covenant of Works and immediately God shed the blood of an animal (without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins) and covered the naked shame of Adam and Eve in a foreshadowing of the ultimate atonement and covering of sin that would occur in the promised Messiah of Genesis 3:15. This is the beginning of the Covenant of Grace and the Proto-Evangelion. God Himself was the first and last to sacrifice for sin.
4. The Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic and Davidic were all fuller revelations of the Covenant of Grace. In the New Covenant administration of grace, the Messiah fulfills the Covenant of Grace by fulfilling the Covenant of Works becomes The Prophet, Priest and King of His people.
5. Those of the elect before the cross were saved by grace through faith in looking forward to the promised work of Christ (His perfect active obedience of the law and His passive obedience on the cross as the sins of His elect were expiated onto Him) and those of the elect after the cross look back to the finished work of Christ on the cross. The only works we are saved by is the active and passive obedience of Christ.
6. The Holy Spirit being the seal of the Covenant of Grace on the elect (takes out the heart of stone and gives a heart of flesh. Circumcision of the heart) and the one that applies Christ righteousness on the elect (imputation). Also giving the faith to believe and the granting of repentance by grace in due time.
7. Salvation is of the Lord. We are justified by the Son, being sanctified by the Spirit and will be glorified by the Father in the Son. Salvation is threefold but He is faithful and just to complete the work He began in us as the Author and Finisher of our faith.
8. The Mosaic Covenant is a fuller revelation of how YHWH wants His people to live (moral law) it points to the atonement of the coming Messiah (ceremonial law) and it provides a holy, sanctified vehicle to bring forth the Christ.
9. The Mosaic Covenant shows a) our depravity and inability, b) points us to the Anointed High Priest and perfect Lamb of God, through the types and shadows of the ceremonial law, and c) shows what we are saved unto…holiness without which no one shall see the Lord.
10. The giving of the law was an act of grace unto His elect. The fact that His holy law is revealed to us is an act of grace. To know what is His standard is an act of grace. That light would shine in darkness is grace. It is all of grace because it shows us that there is none righteous, no not one. The law points to the very distinction between God and man, the very perfection that is God and the very depravity that is man. What grace to reveal this unto His people!! Praise Him for His grace and mercy in giving the law through the further revealing of His covenant of grace, that we call the Mosaic Covenant. For it is a further revelation of the plan of redemption. With His “moral law” showing us what He requires and what we can not do. His “ceremonial law” pointing us to the One who can and has fulfilled the righteous obedience required on our behalf. The Anointed One, The Messiah, Our Redeemer…The Christ! Praise God that has revealed Himself throughout time, in covenants of grace, to the saints of old, through greater revelations of His mighty sovereign plan; wrought before the foundation of the world and culminated in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior!